Data Analysis and Statistical Modelling exam

I’m studying for my DASM exam tomorrow. The study is not going well for two reasons:

  1. I’m a terrible procrastinator when it comes to exams
  2. I’m sitting on 80% of 55% for the course so far i.e. I’ve got 44/55 and tomorrow’s exam is worth the remaining 45% of the marks. So if I just pass I’ll get the credit I need to keep the my course average up.

This is not good because it would be good to get a distinction.

Additionally I’ve changed jobs two weeks ago. I’m tired, grumpy and need a break. I’ve done the least amount of work for this subject that I’ve done for any of the subjects so far.

It’s hard to keep plugging away tonight when there are things I’d rather do. Surely work-life balance comes into this?

I’ve also really enjoyed this subject. Those of you following me on Twitter will know that it really appeals to my inner geek. What’s not to like? I learned how to develop models to forecast things based on historical data. It’s a shame the real world isn’t more like that. Mind you the real world is like that if you have enough data and the correct model. 😀

3 responses to “Data Analysis and Statistical Modelling exam”

  1. Sadly it’s a hoop you have to jump through in many degrees (BBus, MBA, BEc, etc) but, imho, for 99% of people quant subjects like this are a waste of time. Good on you for getting through it. Now purge your brain and remember something useful!

  2. Hi Mark

    Thanks for the comment. Strangely I fount this quant subject very practical. Normally when I forecast I create three scenarios: optimistic, pessimistic and neutral, based on modifying the basic assumptions. This course gave me a new set of skills to use.

    I did regressions in my undergraduate days I did not understand them at all. I’m not sure I’ll use regression in future forecasts because excel does not make them easy to set up, I’d like to believe I will at least attempt it.

    One of the biggest take-home behaviours I learned in the qualitative Managing People and Organisations course was to measure my decision making effectiveness. i.e. track how often and to what degree my guesses and decisions are accurate as a way of improving my decision making processes.

    I’m integrating these quantitative data analysis concepts into the organizational behavior concepts.

    One additional benefit is that I have a manufacturing background, but it’s sad how few quant concepts are used in the manufacturers I’ve worked with.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.